Business Coaching Blog
Time, he flexes like a..what was it again?
Friday, July 28th, 2017
One of my clients raised a key challenge in his business this week; making time to manage people.
“I’m really happy with the new management hires but I’m worried that we are so busy I don’t have the time to look after them properly and they are becoming a bit rudderless.”
My client is systemising his business and experiencing that transition from doing everything and making all the decisions to spending his time helping others do everything.
Some tips I gave him:
- Keep delegating. You have hired these people – what are you still doing that they should be doing?
- Schedule and protect the following individual and group meetings with your staff – set these up as recurring events in your shared diary so you are all committed to the schedule;
- Weekly operational catch-up;
- Monthly business performance review and 121;
- Quarterly team/strategy meeting
- Make the first two meetings efficient by
- Taking a top-down approach to the information and restricting any detail to non-conformities;
- Having the manager concerned produce the necessary report for the meeting, complete with explanations and action plans for non-conformities;
- Imagine you have 1 minute for the meeting – what number are you going to discuss and what decisions will that support? Then if you have 5 minutes, what additional number are you going to discuss and what decisions will that support? Taking this approach makes an hour seem like acres of time to manage that area of the business. It also clarifies managers’ KPIs and targets.
My client is well on his way to making that mindset change from being the person who is accountable for everything to being the leader of a team of people who are accountable for everything. If you’d like to find out more about this process then register for this event.